Reaction Time – Alcohol can slow reflexes, which can decrease the ability to react swiftly to changing situations. Vision – Alcohol can slow eye muscle function, alter eye movement, and alter visual perception, possibly resulting in blurred vision. Night vision and color perception also can be impaired.
What are the common signs of a drunk driver?
How to spot a drunk or drugged driver
- Quick acceleration or deceleration.
- Weaving or zig-zagging across the road.
- Driving anywhere other than on a road designated for vehicles.
- Almost striking an object, curb, or vehicle.
- Stopping without cause or erratic braking.
- Drifting in and out of traffic lanes.
What are 3 signs that a driver could be potentially impaired?
Common signs of impairment
- Drifting, weaving, or swerving on the road.
- Tailgating other vehicles.
- Driving in the middle or on the wrong side of the road.
- Failing to turn on headlights at night.
- Erratic braking.
- Reacting slowly to traffic signals.
- Accelerating or slowing down too quickly.
- Driving slowly.
What to do if an impaired driver is ahead of you?
If you are in front of the impaired driver, turn right at the nearest intersection and let the driver pass you. If the driver is in front of you, stay at a safe distance behind. And if the driver is coming at you, slow down, move to the right and stop. Alert the police that there is an impaired driver on the road.
How many car accidents are caused by falling asleep at the wheel?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving was responsible for 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries, and 800 deaths in 2013. However, these numbers are underestimated, and up to 6,000 fatal crashes each year may be caused by drowsy drivers.
Is falling asleep while driving a crime?
What is the law in California? Like all other states in the U.S., California does not have a vehicle code section on falling asleep while driving. As discussed above, a district attorney can charge a drowsy driver with either reckless driving or vehicular homicide in California if the driver: injured, or.
Is it safe to drive without sleep?
Lack of sleep can make you less alert and affect your coordination, judgement, and reaction time while driving. This is known as cognitive impairment. Studies have shown that going too long without sleep can impair your ability to drive the same way as drinking too much alcohol.